Matthew has extensive experience in aviation, maritime and transport law.
Matthew represents many domestic and international airlines, and their insurers, in relation to a range of claims and disputes including passenger and third party claims, cargo claims, collisions, inquests, ticket wording, ground handling agreements, international conventions, coverage and contractual disputes. He also represents many of the general aviation domestic insurers responding to claims arising from casualty incidents. Matthew advises on emergency response to major incidents / casualties, responding to ATSB and Police investigations, and appearing at Coronial Inquests following fatal aircraft accidents. Matthew also provides non contentious commercial and regulatory advice, including aircraft purchase and maintenance agreements.
In the maritime industry, Matthew represents P&I Clubs, ship owners, cruise and ferry operators, and domestic marine insurers. He advises in relation to passenger and third party claims, collisions, casualty, inquests, salvage, cargo claims, international conventions, marine pollution, charterparty disputes, arbitrations, ticket and brochure wordings. He also acts for carriers, freight forwarders, logistics and warehouse providers and their insurers, and advises on all aspects of haulage, storage and operations. Matthew also provides the maritime industry with non contentious commercial and drafting advice.
Matthew has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Shipping & Maritime Law, and Transportation Law. Matthew is recognised as a pre-eminent aviation lawyer in the Guide to the World’s Leading Aviation Lawyers. He was also been selected in Who’s Who Legal as being among the world’s leading lawyers for Aviation Contentious and Aviation Regulatory. Matthew has been named in the latest edition of Expert Guides as a world leading lawyer for aviation and is recognised as one of the leading practitioners in Shipping in Euromoney’s International Trade and Shipping Expert Guide. He has also been named in Doyle’s Guide as a Recommended lawyer for Shipping & Maritime Law and a Leading lawyer for Aviation Law in Australia.
Matthew’s understanding of the aviation and maritime industries extends past his experience as a legal advisor. He has many years of professional sailing and power boat experience and has undertaking training for a Private Pilot Licence.
Matthew’s recent experience includes:
- Large scale aviation incidents: Advised on incidents involving multiple claimants together with complex contractual claims involving the aviation industry;
- Large scale maritime incidents: Advised on incidents involving damage to cargo, arbitration proceedings, and collisions;
- Yacht casualty: Represented many of the yachts which participated in the 1998 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race “Fatal Storm”;
- Ferry operators: Acted for ferry operators following major casualty incidents on Sydney Harbour; and
- Air operators: Acted for air operators and maintenance organisations following non-fatal and fatal air accidents.