Project, Resource and Infrastructure Finance
An essential element of project financing is that the lender’s recourse is primarily limited to the project assets and revenues. This requires rigorous analysis and allocation of risks, which itself requires a thorough understanding of the legal structures and funding options involved.
We understand the issues involved and how these can be addressed most efficiently. Our projects, resources and infrastructure practice draws on members from a number of practice groups across the firm. Members of our banking and finance, property, construction, commercial and tax teams provide sponsors, financiers and other clients with a multi-disciplinary approach to the delivery of legal services across a broad range of projects.
Our team has acted for government agencies, lenders and sponsors on key infrastructure projects including the electricity industry privatisations in Victoria and South Australia, the privatisation of ports in Queensland and South Australia and infrastructure projects such as CityLink and the redevelopment of Spencer Street Station.
In the resources sector we have acted for borrowers and lenders on transactions within the oil, gas, coal and gold industries. Our understanding of the legal, structural and regulatory drivers enables us to provide targeted advice on issues such as limited recourse financing, tax effective borrowing and partnership and joint venture structures.
Our team regularly acts for superannuation funds involved in investing in alternative asset classes, such as infrastructure, resources and large scale developments.
We are experienced in dealing with the complexity and multi-party nature of these transactions, including in documenting and negotiating complex intercreditor arrangements, dealing with consents and approvals from government agencies, undertaking due diligence and dealing with cross border issues.
- Macquarie Bank: Acted for the winning Macquarie Bank led consortium in relation to the project financing of the WA Schools PPP;
- Macquarie Bank: Acted for the winning Macquarie Bank led consortium in relation to the project financing of the ACT Law Courts PPP;
- Sponsors and lenders: Acting for sponsors and lenders in relation to the privatisation of ports in Dalrymple Bay and South Australia;
- Lead arrangers: Acting for the lead arrangers in relation to the syndicated financing for the acquisition of the WestNet rail assets in Western Australia;
- Lead arrangers: Acting for the lead arrangers of a syndicated facility provided to Cheung Kong Infrastructure for its investment in South Australian retail and distribution electricity assets;
- Banking syndicate: Acting for the banking syndicate to Newcrest for the development of the Tefler world-scale gold mine in Western Australia; and
- Acquisition financing: Acting for the successful bidders in the acquisition financing of a major Australian natural gas pipeline and subsequent partial refinancing via a credit wrapped bond issue.