Karen’s specific area of expertise is as a Health Industry lawyer. She has over 20 years’ experience in Australia and England, being qualified in both jurisdictions. Karen has acted for a diverse range of clients including professional bodies, medical defence organisations, royal colleges, hospitals, foundation trusts and government bodies, individual doctors and dentists.
Karen specialises in corporate and commercial work including corporate governance, regulatory matters, disciplinary proceedings, commercial contracts, industrial matters, risk management and coronial inquiries. She provides general healthcare and legal advice on a wide variety of issues and has significant experience in medical defence litigation and catastrophic injury cases.
Karen also acts for a wide variety of individual and not for profit clients on a pro bono basis.
Karen is named in Best Lawyers™ Australia 2019 edition for Health & Aged Care Law and Medical Negligence. Karen was also recommended as a top lawyer in Chambers UK (2007, 2008), Legal 500 UK (2007, 2008, 2009) and Legal Experts UK (2009).
Karen is a member of The Law Society of New South Wales Privacy And Data Law Committee, the Medico-Legal Society of New South Wales and the Charity Law Association of Australia.
Karen’s experience includes advising:
- Health Care Practitioners in industrial matters including VMO and Staff Specialist disputes, hospital and workplace investigations, HCCC complaints, employment contracts and restraint of trade litigation;
- Health Start Ups and Digital Health on contracting arrangements, privacy, data breach, website and health app terms and conditions, cybersecurity and liability issues;
- Aged Care Services on privacy, regulatory, employment, commerical and governance issues;
- Medical Practices on the sale and purchase of medical practices, service agreements, contracting arrangements and competition law; and
- Charitable & Not for Profit Organisations incorporated associations, companies limited by guarantee and charitable trusts on corporate governance, regulatory, privacy and general commerical issues.