Sarah specialises in all areas of workplace relations and safety law including industrial & employment, enterprise bargaining, work health & safety and discrimination claims. Her practice has both an advisory and litigious focus.
She has experience across a wide variety of industries and sectors including aged care, hospitality, local government, telecommunications and construction.
Sarah has a particular interest in the issues and challenges faced by employers, HR and IR specialists in balancing compliance with business imperatives. Her focus is on developing practical solutions that encourage productivity and positive engagement at all levels within the workplace.
Sarah has been recognised in Doyle’s guide as a “recommended” Tasmanian lawyer in the categories of commercial litigation and dispute resolution.
Sarah’s recent experience includes:
- Local government: Representing local government client in successfully defending proceedings under the Anti-Discrimination Act 1998 (TAS);
- Maritime and shipping: Successfully defended unfair dismissal proceedings (termination for serious misconduct) in the Fair Work Commission brought by a longstanding employee with Union support;
- Statutory authority: Advising statutory authority on EA negotiations and implementation;
- Aged care: Assisting large local employer (Aged Care sector) to successfully defend a Fair Work dispute over Award classifications, rates and allowances;
- Executive Termination: Advising on executive termination;
- Management of long term injured or ill employees: Assisting employers in the management of long term injured or ill employees and ensuring legislative compliance;
- Policies for employer association: Drafting suite of policies for employer association and providing ongoing advice on drafting and implementation for members; and
- Disputation: Advising and defending employers in unfair dismissal, adverse action and discrimination claims.