For over 25 years Richard has advised airports, airlines, financiers and aviation service providers. Richard is widely recognised as Australia’s leading commercial aviation lawyer, specialising in commercial. regulatory and operational matters. In 2015, HWLE was recognised as the (sole) first tier Australian aviation law firm.
Richard has unique Australian and international experience in dealing with airport and airline regulation, commercial and technical operations and management. During 2007 – 2010 Richard was Head of Legal and Head of Procurement for a domestic airline and an international airline, based in Singapore. Richard advises numerous airlines and airports throughout Australia and Asia.
Richard has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Aviation Law and Transportation Law. He is also named in the latest edition of Who’s Who Legal – Australia and Doyle’s Guide as a leading lawyer for Aviation Law in Australia. Richard is also named in the latest edition of Expert Guides as a world leading lawyer for aviation.
Richard’s recent experience includes:
- Tiger Airways Australia: Advised on all legal, regulatory and commercial requirements for the start-up of a major Australian domestic RPT airline;
- Foreign carriers: Advising numerous foreign carriers (especially Asian) on start-ups to Australia;
- Star Alliance: Advising on ACCC authorisation for global alliance in Australia;
- Board of Airline Representatives of Australia: Advising on ACCC Authorisation for the peak international airline body in Australia;
- Air Operators: Advising on numerous aircraft purchase, leasing, financing and sales;
- RPT Airlines: Advising on commercial agreements between major airlines and every capital city airport in Australia (and numerous Asian Airports);
- Airports and Air Operators: Advising numerous airports and airlines on issues with CASA;
- Sydney Airport: Project managing Sydney Airport’s response to the Federal Government on it’s right of first refusal to build and operate Sydney’s second airport;
- Aircaft Owners and Operators: Drafting complex commercial aircraft operation and management agreements;
- Air NZ and Virgin: advising on spare 777 engine pooling agreement;
- Airport Co-ordination Australia: Advising independent Slot Manager on it’s compliance with legislation and regulation at Sydney Airport;
- Major Regional Airline: Advising on objection to capital city airport draft Master Plan and submission to Minister; and
- Sydney Airport: Advising on protection of airspace issues.