Melissa specialises in general commercial litigation with a particular focus on franchise litigation, defamation, intellectual property disputes and Australian Consumer Law issues.
Melissa assists clients in a variety of industries and sectors including not-for-profit, health care, franchising, media and property and development.
Melissa has experience acting for clients in the Supreme, District and Federal Court jurisdictions.
Melissa’s recent experience includes:
- Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron: Acting for the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron and numerous past and present directors to successfully oppose a statutory derivative action commenced by members of RQYS Marina Ltd in the Supreme Court of Queensland and Court of Appeal;
- Not-for-profit healthcare: Assisting a large not-for-profit healthcare provider in proceedings commenced against the provider of certain software and related services for breach of contract;
- Property developers: Advising both Australian and international property developers on their obligations under the Australian Consumer Law with respect to advertising including the drafting of disclaimers for TV, print, radio and online advertisements;
- Bank of Queensland Ltd: Acting for the bank in respect of a class action commenced against it by former Storm Financial Ltd (in liq) investors. The matter settled and the settlement was approved by the Federal Court of Australia; and
- Australian Franchisors: Acting generally for numerous Australian Franchisors in respect of disputes with Franchisees.