James has over 17 years experience advising Insurers in relation to a wide range of Insurance claims including in the areas of fidelity, public and products liability and professional indemnity/financial lines. He acts for a number of domestic and London based Insurers both in a defence capacity and monitoring/coverage capacity.
James now specialises in the more complex professional indemnity/financial lines claims and has acted for numerous types of professionals including solicitors, financial advisors, accountants, real estate agents, surveyors and publicists. He also advises his Insurer clients in relation to coverage issues that arise.
James particular interest and expertise lies in construction related disputes and he has acted in numerous claims on behalf of major construction companies (under design and construct policies), engineers (of numerous disciplines) and architects. He also advises on insurance issues that arise in the course of construction projects and has acted for Insurer clients in relation to complex coverage disputes when they arise.
James’ experience includes:
- QBE Insurance Limited: Acted in The Owners Strata Plan no 50530 v Walter Construction Group Limited (in liquidation)  NSWCA 124, a decision by the NSW Court of Appeal which successfully provided a determination by the Court as to the application of Section 6 of the Law Reform (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1946 (NSW);
- International engineering company: Acted on the defence of a $20 million claim involving allegations of the defective design of a major mineral processing plant in North Queensland. This claim also involved a very significant contract rectification dispute;
- London insurers: Advised in relation to a claim arising from a recently completed gas pipeline project (quantum in excess of $30 million). This included advice as to the amendment of contractual documents to facilitate the completion of the project and ongoing rectification work;
- Insurers of a liquidated construction company: Acted in a $30 million claim arising from the alleged defective design of an electricity cable tunnel; and
- Global engineering company: Acted in relation to the terms of a project specific insurance policy for the purposes of a joint venture arrangement for the design of a major government infrastructure project.