Gary is an accredited specialist in property law since 1994 and has a built broad property practice since 1983. Gary advises on a variety of real estate transactions including retail leasing and commercial leasing, both for landlords and tenants, property acquisitions, property developments and sales including residential, commercial, retail and industrial, buying property in Australia, strata, community and neighborhood title law, property joint ventures, due diligence, finance and structuring, partitions, environment and planning; and general property advice.
Gary’s personal clients comprise a mixture of property developers, high net worth individuals, insurance companies, major NFP organisations and government authorities such as Roads and Maritime Services, Snowy Monaro Regional Council and Transport for NSW. Gary’s clients have also include Chinese investors conducting property transactions in Australia.
Gary has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Leasing Law and Real Property Law. Gary has also been recognised in the Recommended Tier of the ‘Leading Property & Real Estate Lawyers’ for the 2018 edition of Doyle’s Guide. In 2016, Gary was listed as a recommended lawyer in Real Estate by the Asia Pacific Legal 500.
He has been recognised in the Asialaw Leading Lawyers Guide (2017) as Leading Lawyer in Construction & Real Estate and has been selected for inclusion in the Asialaw Profiles Legal Directory (2017 & 2018) for Real Estate.
He was also awarded in 2016 a Lexology Client Choice Award for his excellence in client service in the area of Real Estate.
Gary is a member of the Law Society Property Law Committee and is the current Chairman of the Australia Property Law Group of the Law Council of Australia, General Practice Section. Gary is a Freeman of Rostrum, an award for long service to Rostrum and he is the current Honorary Secretary of NSW Rostrum and a member of the organising committee for the “Voice of Youth” NSW High School public speaking competition. He is also the Vice President of the Darling Point Society.
Gary has published 8 books on property law including 2 books in 2017. Gary is one of the authors of the LexisNexis Butterworths NSW Conveyancing Service (loose leaf). Gary is a regular speaker at Property Law Conferences. For the Real Estate Institute of NSW Gary presents a regular webinar programme for commercial real estate agents.
Gary’s experience includes advising:
- Developers in acquiring, developing and selling sites including “off the plan” sales of residential apartments, offices, industrial warehouses, storage units and retail;
- Property NSW, TfNSW and RMS in relation to the sale and acquisition by agreement or compulsory acquisition. Acting on a variety of landlord and tenant transactions;
- Simonsen Portfolio since 1989, including in 2017, the acquisition of many industrial properties in a large portfolio called the Simonsen Portfolio. Now acting on the development work to hold the same with leasing and to subdivide, 88B and sales “off the plan” for individual sites;
- ACE / Chubb integration including the sale of 28 O’Connell Street, Sydney and their accommodation needs including surrendering leases, subletting and entering new leases across Australia;
- Uber on their national ongoing leasing acquisitions as they roll out for their green hub sites and office accommodation throughout Australia;
- Several of Sydney’s major residential vacant land and house and land package operators on their acquisition joint venture, development, subdivision and “off the plan” sales;
- Oxanda on their acquisition, freehold and leasehold, as well as disposals of childcare centres nationally; and
- Aqualand on their acquisition of several buildings in North Sydney, the leasing for the holding of those buildings as well as development work and sales of “off the plan” apartments on many sites across Sydney.