David Guthrie has a government, public liability and statutory insurance practice.
He has extensive experience in third party liability claims involving personal injury. Most of these claims involve occupier’s liability. He has many years experience in claims arising out of motor vehicle and industrial accidents. This includes workers compensation matters, both statutory and at common law, in the state and federal schemes.
David acts on instructions from statutory and private insurers, corporations and government entities in all courts and tribunals, including merits review applications at VCAT and the AAT.
David has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Personal Injury Litigation.
David’s recent experience includes:
- State of Victoria: Acting in defence of a claim by a school community member injured in the school’s gymnasium;
- Transport Accident Commission: Acted for V/Line in defence of 3 Supreme Court proceedings arising out of a level crossing collision between a train and truck that resulted in 2 fatalities and catastrophic injury;
- State of Victoria: Acted on behalf of Victoria Police in defence of the Black Saturday Kilmore East class action;
- National transport and supply logistics company: Acted in defence of proceeding brought be injured worker and recovery proceeding by WorkCover authority arising out of worker’s fall and serious head injury at loading dock; and
- Confidential major bank: Acted in defence of statutory benefits proceeding and serious injury application by employee of bank and negotiated global resolution of all statutory and common law rights and worker’s employment.