Bill has over 30 years’ experience managing litigation and the resolution of commercial disputes advising in disputes relating to corporate governance, construction and engineering, contract enforcement, partnerships, professional negligence, intellectual property and insolvency situations. Bill advises clients in the property, construction and engineering, professional services, transport, mining and resources, and agribusiness industries.
Bill Hickey was selected for inclusion in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2013-2014) for Dispute Resolution. Bill has also been named in Best LawyersTM Australia for Commercial law, Corporate Law and Litigation.
Bill’s experience includes advising:
- A national distributor in the Federal Court of Australia on defence of the termination of an $8 million per year distribution agreement with a State-wide distributor who was seeking relief under the Australian Consumer Law. Advising a subsidiary of a publicly listed healthcare entity and negotiating resolution of a dispute concerning the acquisition of a group of medical centres;
- Owner of a major marina on two Supreme Court actions upholding lessor’s rights under the marina leases;
- Former managing director of a mining company on termination, remuneration and alleged breaches of the Corporations Act;
- Director and senior employee of a major mining company on a 12-week Supreme Court trial concerning allegations of breaches of fiduciary duties and corporations law;
- Civil contractor on successfully resolving a Supreme Court claim in relation to failure of an underground water storage facility which the developer had provided in public space as part of a property development; and
- National wholesaler of electrical products on seeking restraint of unlawful regulatory action with the outcome that significant adverse commercial consequences were avoided in connection with litigation.