Andrew Miers is a partner practising in insurance and dispute resolution.
Andrew practises primarily in financial lines. He assists domestic and London market insurers both in defending their insureds and in providing coverage/monitoring advice in the professional indemnity, directors and officers and financial institutions sub-lines of business. This has seen him act in claims against accountants, trustees, superannuation trustees, investment managers, financial planners, mortgage brokers, real estate agents, banks, large financial institutions, construction and engineering firms, building professionals, solicitors, government bodies, insurance brokers and directors and officers.
Andrew has also carved out a particular specialty in media and technology liability and cyber risks. He has acted in disputes involving defamation, privacy and social media, and advising on claims against IT professionals. He is recognised for his expertise in cyber risk and data breach insurance, assisting underwriters understand the evolving legal landscape for cyber exposures, advising on cyber insurance policy wordings and incidents and publishing and presenting widely on cyber risk matters.
Andrew has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Insurance Law and has been listed by Doyle’s Guide as a recommended leading Professional Indemnity Lawyer in 2015 and 2016.
Andrew’s recent experience includes:
- Private equity firm: Acting for London and Hong Kong based insurers of a private equity firm in a large claim involving alleged breach of warranties and misleading or deceptive conduct in connection with a share sale agreement. Involved advising on D&O, PI and Warranty & Indemnity insurance;
- Major insurance underwriter: Advising London underwriters of a government instrumentality in providing complex coverage advice concerning losses arising from a major natural disaster;
- Major infrastructure project: Acting for London insurers in providing monitoring and coverage advice in class action proceedings arising out of a failed IPO in a major infrastructure project including advice on cross-jurisdictional proceedings;
- Mining company: Acting for former managing director of mining company in defending claim alleging breach of directors’ duties;
- Accounting firm: Acting in defence of accounting firm in litigation arising out of Westpoint collapse, including mediation of 16 related and overlapping sets of proceedings;
- Credit reporting bureau: Acting in successful strike out of class action against credit reporting bureau alleging defamation, negligence and breach of the Privacy Act;
- Defamation disputes: Acting in many defamation disputes and litigated claims involving website publishers, media and publishing entities, clubs and associations, churches, universities, medical practitioners, local councils, journalists, including many claims involving use of social media; and
- Intellectual property: Defending chief technology officer in high profile peer-to-peer music downloading copyright case.