For over 17 years, Andrew has specialised in advising Australian and London based insurers on complex claims as both defence and coverage counsel in disputes involving professional negligence and breaches of contract, D&O insurance, general liability, business interruption and ISR policies.
In Doyle’s Guide 2016, Andrew has been ranked as ‘Recommended’ in the category of Financial Lines.
Andrew’s recent experience includes:
- Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC): Acting for Queensland statutory authority in investigating and defending CCC notice;
- Royal Commission (RC): Acting as coverage counsel for multiple domestic and international insurers and across multiple major banks providing guidance and counsel throughout the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry;
- Class actions: Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel for international D&O insurers in respect of class actions initiated against banks and financial institutions following evidence from the RC;
- Coronial inquest: Acting as coverage counsel for the D&O insurers of a publicly listed leisure management company in respect of claims and statutory investigations following the death of four patrons at Dreamworld;
- AUSTRAC: Acting as coverage counsel for excess insurers on a banking and professional liability policy for claims against a financial services provider in respect of civil penalty claims due to breaches of regulatory provisions regarding money laundering and terrorism funding;
- ASIC proceedings: Acting as coverage counsel for excess insurers in analysing complicated financial and regulatory allegations surrounding manipulation of wholesale interbank interest rates and associated pecuniary penalties;
- ACCC Cartel and ASIC proceedings: Acting as coverage and monitoring counsel for the domestic D&O insurer of a bank in regulatory proceedings following an earlier institutional share placement;
- ACCC Financial advice remediation program: Acting as coverage counsel for multiple insurers in assessing and auditing policy compliance through substantial financial services remediation program;
- ACCC Northern Australia insurance inquiry: Acting for the domestic D&O insurer as coverage counsel of an ASX listed insurer’s compliance with regulatory investigation;
- ACCC Residential mortgage products inquiry: Acting for the domestic insurer of a bank in respect of regulator’s investigation into the prices charged for residential mortgage products;
- Professional negligence: Acting as coverage counsel for a group of international underwriters as first excess insurers in a $50 million professional negligence claim made against a prominent international law firm;
- Environmental: Acting as defence counsel of the ex-managing director and CEO of a publicly listed energy company (in liquid) concerning alleged breaches of the Environmental Protection Act;
- Taxation litigation: Acting as defence counsel for three non-executive directors of a publically listed mining services company (in liquid) in proceedings initiated by the liquidator against the ATO for preferential payments;
- Financial planning and AFSLs: Acting as defence counsel for a bank and its financial advisors and numerous CARs in defence of claims for compensation;
- Building certifiers and inspectors: Acting as defence counsel for certifiers and inspectors in claims for compensation and also regulatory claims/investigations;
- Work health and safety: Acting as defence counsel for the Brisbane Racing Club where two workers were crushed at Eagle Farm racecourse;
- Accountants: Acting as defence counsel for claims against accountancy firms for alleged failures to properly advise of auditing and accountancy practices;
- Architects, construction and engineering: Acting as coverage and defence counsel in claims against national firms of architects and engineers; and
- Property and land valuers and real estate agents: Acting as defence counsel against national firms of valuers for negligence, breach of duty and breach of contract and real estate agents for negligence, breaches of duty and misleading and deceptive conduct.