Stephen is a senior partner in the commercial group based in Melbourne. He has a broad corporate commercial practice focusing on the negotiation and implementation of acquisitions and divestments of businesses for Australian and international clients, joint ventures and partnerships (including property and entertainment) and major contract negotiation and drafting.
Stephen also offers specialist advice in transport and logistics law, insurance law, insolvency and white collar crime. In particular, Stephen has acted for major players in the transport industry in Australia for over 30 years.
Stephen has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Commercial Law, Corporate/Governance Practice, Franchise Law, Leveraged Buyouts, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, and Private Equity Law and was listed as one of the ACLA/Australian “Legal Dream Team” published in The Australian. Stephen was also the Lexology Legal Writing Awards winner for 2010.
Stephen’s recent experience includes:
- International Mining Investor: on the negotiation and renegotiations of a long term offtake agreement for a mine in the Northern Territory;
- International investors: on the granting of a casino licence, including all related probity issues, and the joint venture to develop a $1.4b Integrated Resort Complex;
- A consortium of Australian and international investors: on the acquisition of a major tourist resort in Queensland;
- Major Property Investor: on the acquisition of land and the development of a $600m trophy residential/commercial/hotel property in Perth; and
- International investor: on the structuring and acquisition of an investment in a finance company to facilitate raising significant funds offshore and lending them to Australian and foreign retail investors.