He has over 20 years experience specialising in retail banking and payments regulation.
His experience includes advising on implementation projects for consumer credit legislation, privacy and credit reporting laws, the FSR regime, payments regulation, the AML/CTF Act, licensing of financial institutions and the Personal Property Securities Act. He has also advised in relation to the development and distribution of a multitude of regulated financial products including under some of Australia’s most prominent white label alliances.
Andrew’s clients include the full spectrum of participants in Australian payment systems including banks, payment processors, clearing houses, major retailers, providers of specialist merchant services, bill payment services and payroll services, global e-commerce companies and online marketplaces, money remittance services and foreign exchange services. Andrew has also assisted a wide range of domestic and foreign companies to establish regulated financial services and lending operations in Australia and to implement comprehensive compliance systems and procedures.
Andrew is recognised as a leader in Financial Services Regulation in Chambers & Partners’ Asia Pacific Guide. Andrew has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Banking and Finance Law, Financial Institutions and Regulatory Practice. Additionally, Andrew was named “Lawyer of the Year” for Financial Institutions Law in Best Lawyers™ Australia 2016 edition. He co-authored chapters of CCH’s Australian Personal Property Securities Law Reporter including CCH’s precedent PPS clauses.
Andrew’s recent experience includes:
- Major Australian banks: Advised on the adoption of Apple Pay and Android Pay platforms for card payments;
- Major Australian bank: Advised on implementation of Privacy Act reforms in 2014;
- GE Capital: Advised on all aspects of the development and distribution of the GEM Visa Card and the UMI personal loan (Australia’s first paperless regulated loan product);
- Woolworths: Advised on its alliances with Macquarie Bank, HSBC, ANZ Bank, AIG Insurance, American Express and Qantas for a range of Woolworths branded products;
- Global Charge Card Company: Advised on its distribution alliance with Australia Post for distribution of forex products and multi-currency prepaid cards;
- Global e-commerce companies: Advised on Australian regulation of online market sites;
- Australian regional bank: Advised on the regulatory aspects of its consolidations into a large Australian bank;
- Various bank and non-bank financial institutions: Advised on a on a wide range of consumer credit products and related compliance and distribution issues;
- Various bank and non-bank financial institutions: Advised on the implementation of NCCP licensing disclosure and responsible lending requirements;
- Various banks, financiers and corporates: Advised on contract and operational changes required for implementation of the Personal Property Securities Act;
- Western Union: Advised on its acquisition of the Custom House and Travelex currency exchange and payments businesses;
- Various bank owned and manufacturer owned auto finance companies: Advised on all aspects of retail and wholesale automotive finance;
- Virgin Money: Advised on the regulatory aspects of the sale of the Virgin Money credit card portfolio by Citibank to Bank of Queensland; and
- RateSetter: Advised on the establishment of Peer–to–Peer lending operations in Australia.