Simon has more than 25 years experience in aviation, maritime, transport and tourism law. He has particular experience with large scale incidents involving multiple claimants, particularly with airlines and passenger vessels. Simon led the team that successfully defended a number of airlines in the crucial Australian DVT litigation and he has assisted airlines in the aftermath of several high profile accidents. Simon regularly assists clients with claims, recoveries and litigation throughout Australia and the Pacific region.
Simon represents P&I Clubs, shipowners, cruise and ferry operators and marine insurers in relation to passenger and third party claims, collisions, marine pollution, ticket and brochure wordings, concession agreements and all aspects of passenger ship operations. Within the tourism industry, Simon advises suppliers, ITOs, tour wholesalers, tour operators, resort and hotel operators in relation to liability issues, contractual arrangements, insurance and risk management. He has advised the Australian Tourism Export Council and its members on a wide range of transactions and issues.
Simon has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Aviation Law, Customs & Excise Law, Shipping & Maritime Law and Transportation Law. Additionally, Simon has been named Lawyer of the Year for Shipping & Maritime Law by Best Lawyers™ Australia for Sydney. He was also nominated by the Asia law Leading Lawyers survey as one of the most highly-acclaimed legal maritime and aviation experts in the Asia-Pacific region. Simon has been named in the latest edition of Expert Guides as a world leading lawyer for aviation, and was selected in Who’s Who Legal as being among the world’s leading lawyers for Aviation Contentious and Aviation Regulatory. In the Asia Pacific Legal 500 Simon is regularly recognised as being a leading individual in Transport and noted as being “esteemed for his shipping, maritime and aviation knowledge”. Doyle’s Guide lists Simon as the Market Leader amongst Aviation Lawyers in Australia, and as a Recommended Shipping and Maritime lawyer in Australia.
Simon’s recent experience includes:
- International and Domestic Airlines: Representing airlines and their aviation liability insurers for more than 25 years in defence of claims, recovery actions, and emergency response;
- International and Domestic Airlines: Successful defence of large scale DVT litigation in Australia;
- Cruise ship operator: Defence of class action arising from contagious disease outbreak;
- Ferry operator: Sydney Harbour ferry collision Coronial Inquest & multiparty civil litigation;
- Large scale maritime incident: “Laura D’Amato” huge oil spill in Sydney Harbour and subsequent prosecution and civil claims;
- P&I Club / Ship owners: Numerous marine liability claims, including passenger, third party, fixed and floating object damage, and collisions; and
- Tourism Industry: Contracts, terms and conditions and dispute resolution, and consumer claims.