Shaun is a partner within our Taxation team based in Melbourne.
Shaun practices in corporate, international and employment taxes, with particular expertise in M&A and corporate transactions, employment taxes (including employee share schemes) and superannuation. Shaun also has significant experience in complex tax audits and disputes and has litigated significant tax cases through the Australian courts.
Shaun is ranked in the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific as a Band 1 Next Generation Lawyer in Tax and was recognised as a ‘star’ advisor in employee share schemes by the Global Equity Organization. Shaun’s clients describe him as being “accessible” and having “a strong command of technical detail and the ability to apply this to complex situations in a pragmatic and commercial manner”.
Shaun is Vice Chairman of the Tax Institute’s Breakfast Club Committee and also sits on the Tax Institute’s Superannuation and Employment Taxes technical committees.
Prior to joining HWL Ebsworth, Shaun practised at top tier and magic circle law firms.
Shaun’s experience includes advising:
- A large pharmaceutical company in a transfer pricing tax audit;
- Treasury Wine Estates Limited on the design and implementation of its award-winning all-employee Share Cellar Share and Cash Matching Plan;
- CSL Limited on the design and implementation of its 2018 CSL Limited Non-Executive Director Share Rights Plan and obtaining an ATO class ruling in respect of the operation of the plan (CR 2018/35);
- Rio Tinto, Ford, Westpac, AGL Energy, Alumina, Newcrest, SEEK, RedBubble, Stratton Finance, Arch Capital, Carlton & United Breweries, Cleanaway, Tabcorp and Australian Agricultural Company on the Australian tax aspects related to the operation of their employee share schemes;
- Shell on the employment tax and employee share schemes consequences of its $1.2bn divestment of its downstream business to Vitol;
- Unibail-Rodamco on various tax aspects of its takeover of Westfields Group; and
- Australia Post on the Australian income tax consequences of its acquisition of the Mail Call Courier group from Aramex.