- Title Special Counsel
- Area Competition and Consumer, Corporate Governance, Dispute Resolution, Government, Health, Insolvency and Securities Enforcement, Insurance, Native Title and Indigenous Cultural Heritage
Ryan’s areas of specialisation include commercial dispute resolution, insolvency, securities enforcement, debt collection, local government law, construction law, insurance, professional negligence, personal injury and native title.
Ryan regularly acts for ASX-listed companies, financial institutions, insolvency practitioners, large and small businesses, territory and local government agencies, and individuals.
Ryan is a member of the Australian Reconstruction and Turnaround Society and is recognised as one of Darwin’s preeminent insolvency lawyers.
Ryan’s recent experience includes:
- Voluntary administrators: Acting in the matter of Blackadder v McQuinn & Ors (No. 2)  NTSC 57, in which the NT Supreme Court accepted the administrators’ contentions and recognised their rights to remuneration in circumstances where the company’s director was found to have invalidly appointed them. This judgment goes further than all pre-existing Australian case law by confirming the extent of administrators’ rights to quantum meruit remuneration, and confirming that a lien arises at law to secure such remuneration;
- A subsidiary of Coca-Cola Amatil: Representing the subsidiary in multiple actions in the NT Supreme Court dealing with complex issues of legislative interpretation under the NT’s cash for cans scheme;
- A remote healthcare provider: Defending a Supreme Court claim for medical negligence resulting in death, and prosecuting a cross-claim against the organisation’s insurer;
- Two joint-venture stakeholders: Defending a Supreme Court claim for breach of contract and restitution, arising from the abandonment of an arrangement for the mining of extractive minerals; and
- Liquidators and creditors of companies in liquidation: Regularly acting in claims for unfair preferences and other voidable transactions.