Richard is a specialist competition and consumer protection lawyer providing strategic advice and guidance to clients across a range of industries. Richard is ranked by Chambers Asia Pacific as one of Australia’s leading competition lawyers and is named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Competition Law and Regulatory Practice.
Richard has extensive experience in responding to investigations by the ACCC or other regulators alleging breaches of the Competition and Consumer Act or Australian Consumer Law, including acting for the defendants in Australia’s first ever criminal cartel prosecution. He is also experienced in merger clearances, reviewing advertising and sales collateral, structuring arrangements such as joint ventures and supply and distribution arrangements, and designing and implementing compliance programs.
Richard also has corporate and mergers and acquisitions experience, including with one of the UK’s leading law firms, and has previously held the position of General Manager Legal with Qantas Airways, with responsibility for competition law advice and compliance.
Richard’s experience includes:
- Criminal cartel investigations: Acting for NYK Line, the defendant in Australia’s first ever criminal cartel prosecution and other confidential cartel investigations;
- Cartel investigations and immunity applications: Acting for clients in major investigations and immunity applications, including acting for Thai Airways in relation to the air freight cartel investigations and proceedings, acting for one of the individual respondents in ACCC v Renegade Gas and acting in immunity applications for clients that remain confidential;
- Leading organisations: Acting for a range of leading organisations including MasterCard, LG Electronics, Yum! Restaurants (KFC, Pizza Hut), and Mortgage Choice by providing ongoing advertising review clearance services;
- Authorisations: Obtaining ACCC authorisations, including obtaining authorisations for Qantas’ previous joint venture arrangements with British Airways and for Star Alliance’s joint corporate sales activities in Australia;
- Merger clearances: Acting for various clients in relation to various merger clearances including Healthe Care acquisition of Western Australian hospitals, Wormald’s acquisition of National Fire Holdings, ADT Security’s acquisition of Signature Security and sale of Mercy Hospital to St John of God; and
- Compliance system design and training: Acting for a wide range of organisations include Goodman Fielder, Telstra, LG Electronics, Pioneer Electronics, Fantastic Furniture, Dairy Farmers, Howards Storage, Lafarge Plasterboard, Malaysian Airlines, McCann Erickson, Mortgage Choice and Yum! Restaurants in the provision of compliance training and advice.