Joanna is a Special Counsel in HWL Ebsworth’s Brisbane Insurance Group. Joanna has over 17 years’ litigation experience, working almost exclusively in the area of professional risk.
Joanna has acted as defence and coverage counsel in a range of claims on behalf of a variety of parties, including significant experience in the management of complex multi-party Supreme Court litigation.
Her expertise extends to coverage advice and claims conduct in the financial services, health professional and legal sectors, as well as building professionals (architects, engineers, valuers, surveyors, certifiers, construction companies, marine surveyors), and disciplinary investigations.
Joanna’s recent experience includes:
- Insured property surveyor in a multi-million dollar claim made by a developer against the local authority, builder, engineer, town planner and other environmental specialists regarding a 110 lot residential property subdivision project that was halted midway due to alleged infringements with the development approvals;
- Insured private certifier in relation to alleged design defects and inappropriate classification of footings for an aircraft hanger;
- Quantity surveying: Acting as defence counsel in a claim against a quantity surveying firm engaged by the financier of a multi-stage residential development in relation to alleged negligence in the inspection and certification regime for the construction funding of the development;
- Insurers of marine surveyor in relation to coverage advice and claim management for a insurers of marine surveyor in respect of multi-million dollar claim involving a commercial fishing vessel that suffered a catastrophic failure and involved issues of composite engineering and naval architecture;
- Financial services for the responsibility for coverage advice and subsequent management of a portfolio of claims arising out multiple notifications for alleged negligent financial advice methodology; and
- Health and building professionals in relation to coverage advice and conduct of defence in respect of regulatory/disciplinary investigations regarding health and building professionals.