James is an experienced securities, funds and transactional lawyer, working in public/private and regulated/unregulated environments. During his career, James has worked on a myriad of transactions and financial products and offerings, from fixed interest and debt instruments through to hybrids, equities, structured products and derivatives.
James specialises in: M&A (including regulated takeover bids, capital reductions and buy-backs and private sale and purchases of companies and businesses); funds management (including structuring, establishment, offering and restructuring of unit trusts and other investment vehicles); equity capital markets; securities and financial services regulation (including licensing, compliance and disclosure obligations); joint ventures and start-ups; and advisory work on corporate governance matters and securities regulatory issues.
He is highly regarded for his knowledge and experience, as is demonstrated by his regular inclusion in peer reviewed leading practitioner lists such as Best Lawyers and Chambers Lawyers. James has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Commercial Law, Corporate Law, Equity Capital Markets Law, Funds Management, Investment Funds, and Mergers and Acquisitions Law. In his entry in Chambers a client is quoted as saying: “He is a breath of fresh air – unflappable, knowledgeable, and I am always amazed at the amount of work he gets through. Outstanding.”
James’ recent experience includes acting for:
- Centuria Capital Group: A listed property funds manager and its satellite listed funds, on a wide variety of funds, ECM and public M&A transactions including:
- restructuring the headstock through the listing of Centuria Capital Fund and its stapling to Centuria Capital Limited;
- the de-stapling and restructuring of Centuria Metropolitan REIT (CMA);
- a trust merger between CMA and Centuria Urban REIT (CUA) (previously TOF);
- a “jumbo” issue by CMA, consisting of a placement and accelerated entitlement offer;
- a placement and options issue by Centuria Capital Group;
- an accelerated entitlement offer and unitholder purchase plan by Centuria Industrial REIT (CIP);
- the acquisition of 360 Capital Group’s real estate funds management platform, including stakes in its two listed funds (CIP and CUA);
- AXA Real Assets: In establishing and structuring numerous wholesale trusts with funds under management of over $4 billion;
- Millinium’s Alternatives Fund: In relation to fund/investment structuring transactions including numerous PE style investments and capital raisings;
- Mulpha: On numerous funds management related matters;
- Companies undertaking IPO’s: Most recently for Glennon Small Cap LIC and 1st Available;
- Off-market bidder: For AMP’s China Growth Fund;
- Start-ups and joint venture parties: Particularly in the property and financial services industries;
- AET: In relation to numerous debenture trusts and security trust structures;
- Citigroup: In respect of a variety of TRS transactions;
- Cater Care On an MBO that included an investment by CHAMP and the acquisition of Spotless’ airport franchise business division; and
- McWilliam’s Wines Group: On a variety of M&A transactions and capital raisings.