Antony has been practicing as a Barrister and Solicitor since 1995. Prior to joining HWL Ebsworth he was a Partner and Director of the Hobart office of another national law firm. He practices primarily for corporate and private sector clients in the areas of property, commercial, banking and finance and contracts law.
Antony’s experience in property law includes commercial and residential property acquisitions and sales, property due diligence and advice on securitization. He also assists a number of clients with property developments, including residential and light industrial subdivisions, development of strata title complexes and body corporate set up and management. Antony has extensive experience in commercial and retail leasing, including the preparation and negotiation of leases for a large number of clients, preparing precedent documents for multiple use and advising clients in relation to the Code of Practice for Retail Tenancies in Tasmania.
In the banking and finance area, Antony undertakes a variety of work including advising clients on loan and security structures, drafting loan and security documents, financier due diligence and stamp duty advice. He also assists clients with mortgage recovery work, preparing notices of demand and sale and advising clients in relation to mortgagee sales and auctions and obtaining orders for possession of properties.
Antony regularly assists clients in the acquisition and sale of businesses, whether through an asset sale or share sale. He advises clients on setting up and structuring businesses, joint ventures, company law including advice on the Corporations Act 2001, governance issues, franchising, trade practices, intellectual property, PPSA and privacy. Antony has also assisted clients with share option plans and share buybacks and regularly assists clients with compliance matters under the Corporations Act 2001.
Over the years Antony has assisted many clients by documenting various business deals and relationships through the preparation and negotiation of contracts. He is experienced in drafting a wide range of contracts to document various agreements between parties. This work includes providing advice on licensing arrangements, royalties, legislative compliance, indemnities and releases.
Antony’s recent experience includes:
- The Van Diemen’s Land Company: Acting in relation to its $280 million sale of dairy farming land and assets to Moon Lake Investments Pty Ltd;
- An ASX listed entity: Advising in relation to a number of complex compulsory land acquisitions in Tasmania as well as other property and commercial matters in relation to the entity’s Tasmanian assets;
- Waste transfer station: Acting in relation to the buyback of shares in the group of companies held by a superannuation fund, including advising on restructuring of debt and capital arrangements to satisfy Corporations Act 2001 requirements;
- Royal charter company: Obtaining a Supplemental Royal Charter for a Royal Charter Company operating in Australia, including negotiating with UK Government Departments and dealing with the Privy Council;
- Commercial: Advising and acting in relation to the strata titling of several commercial buildings in Hobart, including acting in the sale of strata lots;
- Major Bank: Acting in relation to a number of its mortgagee sales of farms, businesses, development sites and residential properties in Tasmania;
- Mortgagee: Acting in the purchase of a number of major sites in the Hobart CBD, including preparation of mortgages and ancillary documents, reviewing leases and other agreements relevant to the buildings and properties, checking and advising on property and council matters, and attending settlement and registering documents; and
- Agribusiness: Assisting in the multi-state refinance of a large agribusiness.