Andrew Shearwood is a partner based in Perth, with particular expertise in corporate and financial services law. Prior to joining HWL Ebsworth, Andrew practised at Herbert Smith Freehills (and its predecessor firms) for over 30 years. Andrew’s areas of legal expertise include: Equity capital markets; Mergers and acquisitions; Funds management; Financial services law; and Corporate governance.
He advises clients from a wide range of sectors such as agribusiness (including forestry, horticulture, cereal crops and wine), financial services, property development and management; and natural resources. Andrew has been a trusted advisor to boards and senior management of listed and unlisted companies in Australia and overseas for many years. He also has experience working with regulators such as the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
Andrew has been named named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Agriculture & Rural Affairs, Corporate/Governance Practice, Equity Capital Markets Law, Financial Institutions, Funds Management and Investment Funds law. He was also named as the Best Lawyers 2014 Perth Equity Capital Markets ‘Lawyer of the Year’.
Andrew’s recent experience includes:
- Trusts and companies: Advising ASX listings of a number of trusts and companies, and on related asset acquisitions and ongoing compliance and governance requirements;
- Investment schemes and companies: Advising on capital raisings for a broad spectrum of listed and unlisted managed investment schemes and companies;
- Companies, businesses and assets: Advising on a diverse range of negotiated acquisitions or sales of companies, businesses and assets;
- Merges and takeovers: Advising on the merger of companies by way of takeover or scheme of arrangement and responding to takeover bids;
- Investment schemes: Avising on creation and operation of various managed investment schemes, with investment portfolios in securities, agribusiness, retirement villages and real property (including shopping centres, residential and commercial property); and
- Financial services industry regulation: Advising on financial services industry regulation, encompassing licensing and disclosure obligations of licence holders.