Sydney | Full Time
- Broaden your experience and skills with one of the largest dedicated Insurance teams in Australia.
- Benefit from close interaction with partners, strong peer support and structured career track mentoring.
- Exposure to a broad cross section of litigious and non-litigious work.
- Flexible work arrangements including remote working.
HWL Ebsworth is Australia’s largest and fastest growing legal partnership, with offices in every state and territory in Australia. Our Sydney Insurance Practice Group comprises of 16 Partners and Staff across a number of speciality areas and is part of a National group of 260+ Partners and staff.
We have a unique opportunity for 2 x dynamic candidates (Solicitor & Associate) looking for advancement opportunities to join our impressive and highly regarded Sydney Insurance practice working predominantly with Partner Sylvia Quang and her team. As part of a close-knit team you will work on an interesting and broad mix of insurance matters, with a particular focus on appeals relating to the National Disability Insurance Scheme, where you will have autonomy over your own files. The Associate role will involve leading a team of solicitors and assisting in the management of the NDIS portfolio, as well as working on litigious and non-litigious matters in Life Insurance. The Solicitor role will also specialise in General Insurance, providing advice on claims and coverage issues and practical assistance with claims investigations and fraud. Both candidates also have the opportunity to develop their skills in advisory insurance (regulatory and compliance) work. This is an amazing opportunity to take your career to the next level and beyond, by enhancing your written and analytical skills, and working on a variety of matters with an industry leading team and prominent client case.
Scope of role
The successful candidate will be engaged in:
- Direct client access.
- Close collaboration with Partners in a strong team environment.
- Supportive training and mentoring.
- Advisory work on coverage analysis, liability and potential non-disclosure and misrepresentation issues.
- Assisting insurers with claims disputes, investigations and complaints.
- Advocacy and autonomy over Administrative Appeals Tribunal matters.
Skills and Experience required for this role include the following:
Specific skills and experience for this role include:
- Solicitor 2 years PAE or less.
- Associate 3-4 years PAE.
- Experience with litigation and preferably Administrative Appeal Tribunal process (but not essential).
- Critical analysis skills in respect to expert reports (preferably medical), contracts and/or legislation and regulatory documents.
- Ability to draft clear and concise communications and explain legal concepts in plain English.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to be able to deal with clients and other parties.
- Desire to develop your career and professional network in the Insurance industry.
- A willingness to learn.
- A ‘can do’ approach.
- Team player.
We are proud to offer our staff unrivalled career development opportunities and you will be encouraged to take ownership of the direction and pace of your career. We promote and reward talent based solely on merit, which allows all team members to reach their potential and we are committed to providing an environment that supports and encourages all team members to progress. The successful candidate will thrive in an environment where building relationships and high performance are celebrated and rewarded.
HWL Ebsworth is committed to supporting flexible working arrangements for our employees to assist them in balancing their professional and personal commitments. To support this, the firm offers a flexible working arrangement whereby professional staff members can elect to work a portion of their week remotely.
How to apply
For a confidential discussion or to apply, please submit your CV and cover letter to Steve Lalic on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0411 047 054.
Applicants must have full working rights in Australia to apply.