Adelaide | Full Time
About the job
- The opportunity to build your experience and skills with Adelaide’s market-leading IP/IT team.
- Enjoy a fast-paced role advising on new and emerging areas of law, with mentoring and support.
- Interesting mix of work from national and international clients, with a good balance of larger and smaller transactions.
- Flexible work arrangements.
HWL Ebsworth is Australia’s largest and fastest growing legal partnership, with offices in every state and territory in Australia. Our Adelaide Corporate & Commercial Practice Group is comprised of over 25 Partners and Staff across a number of speciality areas. Our Adelaide office is recognised by Doyle’s Guide as ‘First Tier’ for both Intellectual Property and Technology, Media and Telecommunications law, and undertakes work for clients located all over Australia.
We have a unique opportunity for a dynamic candidate to join our impressive and highly regarded Adelaide Corporate & Commercial practice, working with our market-leading IP/IT team led by Partner Luke Dale. As part of the team, you will be exposed to interesting and varied matters, with a particular focus on intellectual property law and brand protection, technology law, privacy and cybersecurity, media and entertainment law and trade practices issues including franchising and consumer protection.
If this is an area of interest you want to pursue a career in, this is the position for you. We welcome applicants who may not have worked in this space, especially if you have a strong commercial law background and a genuine interest in this area of law.
Specific accountabilities for this role include:
- Brand protection assistance and advice, including clearance searches, trade mark applications and oppositions, domain names and social media issues.
- Advising on the licensing and commercialisation of new technologies.
- Advising on copyright, patent and design issues, and assisting with international IP protection requirements.
- Reviewing and drafting software licensing and cloud services contracts.
- Assisting the broader Corporate & Commercial team with the IP, technology and privacy elements of M&A transactions.
- Providing advice under the Privacy Act, including drafting Privacy Policies and other documentation.
We anticipate that the successful candidate may not have existing experience in all of these areas, but will be eager to learn and participate with the assistance of our credentialed team.
Skills and Experience required for this role include the following:
- 1-5 years PAE.
- Strong drafting and written skills.
- Strategic and critical thinking capabilities.
- Communication, organisational and interpersonal skills.
- Ideally, someone who is passionate about emerging issues and growth in the technology industry.
Qualifications or experience in relevant non-legal areas, such as science, engineering, computing, media, marketing or the creative arts will also be well regarded, but not essential.
We are proud to offer our staff unrivalled career development opportunities and you will be encouraged to take ownership of the direction and pace of your career. We promote and reward talent based solely on merit, which allows all team members to reach their potential and we are committed to providing an environment that supports and encourages all team members to progress. The successful candidate will thrive in an environment where building relationships and high performance are celebrated and rewarded.
HWL Ebsworth is also committed to supporting flexible working arrangements for our employees to assist them in balancing their professional and personal commitments. To support this, the firm offers a flexible working arrangement whereby professional staff members can elect to work a portion of their week remotely.
How to apply
For a confidential discussion or to apply, please submit your CV and cover letter to Steve Lalic on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0411 047 054.
Applications close Sunday 8th May 2022.
Applicants must have full working rights in Australia to apply.