Sean specialises in franchising law and commercial disputes, including regulatory investigations by the ACCC and ASIC. His client base and practice is national and he regularly assists clients with advice and disputes across the country.
Sean is best known for his specialised expertise within the franchising sector. He is currently the President of the NSW/ACT Chapter of the FCA and a director of the FCA sitting on the national board. Sean is the trusted legal advisor to numerous well known franchisors, master franchisees and IP brand owners and provides advice on contentious and non contentious issues including compliance, competition and consumer law and international expansion. He has also been involved in many significant and complex disputes over the past decade for franchisor and general commercial clients, including the first Federal Court ‘fast track’ class action.
Sean is a trained mediator and has participated in numerous OFMA and commercial mediations. He has a proven record of resolving disputes, often without the need for litigation. He also provides expert opinion on franchise related matters for litigated disputes.
Sean has been recognised on several occasions in Who’s Who Legal – International Franchising, including the 2016 edition, as one of the leading franchise lawyers in the world.
Sean’s recent experience includes:
- LJ Hooker: Assisting with numerous legal matters ranging from Code compliance, crisis brand management, regulatory issues, competition promotions and disputes;
- Barbeques Galore: Assisting with numerous legal matters ranging from Code compliance, contested IP ownership, property/lease related matters and disputes;
- National fast food brands: Leading national brands in the fast food, mortgage broking, logistics and automotive sectors providing strategic advice and assisting with dispute matters involving issues such as IP enforcement, restraints of trade, fraud investigations, property/construction disputes, shareholder rights and debt recovery;
- Banking executive: Defending executive in a significant regulatory investigation by ASIC; and
- Prominent professional: Defending client from a range of actions, including ASIC director banning proceedings, professional and regulatory disciplinary hearings, including successful injunctive proceedings to prevent publication of decision obtained without due process.