Sarah is a Partner in our Workplace Relations and Safety and Insurance Groups she specialises in Work/Occupational Health and Safety (WHS/OHS) law, bribery and corruption, cybercrime, dispute resolution and medical negligence.
For over 20 years her focus has been to assist businesses, undertakings and individuals understand their responsibility, ensure learnings are taken from incidents and raids and to assist to implement and verify the systems and processes to discharge their responsibilities and implement any learnings in a sustainable manner.
Sarah has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for five years as one of Australia’s leading Occupational Health and Safety Lawyers and is named as Best Lawyers™ Australia 2018 Perth Occupational Health and Safety “Lawyer of the Year”. For the past four years she has also been named in the regulatory practice category. .Additionally, she is named for Commercial Law, Labour and Employment Law and Natural Resources Law. Doyle’s Guide names Sarah a Leading and Recommended lawyer for Workplace health and safety law in Western Australia.
Sarah’s recent experience includes:
- Utilities: Acted for utility companies in relation to complex workplace fatalities including assisting with negotiations with government and regulators in relation to required actions; training presentations to board, executive and operations lead teams; assisting with incident investigation process and what is documented post an incident;
- Mining and Petroleum: Managing incident investigations and all subsequent litigation: includes on-site attendance to work with investigation team, interview witnesses, liaising with regulators, the police, insurers, contractors and the coroner’s office. Assisting with documentary and evidence collection, engagement of experts, drafting of or review of investigation report, claims for force majeure, dealing with FOI applications, managing prosecutions and civil claims and any coronial inquests; Assisting clients with obtaining safety regulatory approvals and assisting with day to day safety advice; Advising in relation to cybersecurity obligations. Conducting compliance audits. Preparing legal incident management manuals;
- Transport: Advising on chain of responsibility obligations; investigating fatal workplace accidents, advising in relation to discovery of asbestos in part, advising in relation to potential operations exposure risks, assisting with negotiations with regulators in relation to know risks and required safety approvals for works;
- Health and Industrial diseases: Acting for hospitals in relation to treatment liability claims including in relation to catastrophic injuries and deaths following hospitalisation and acting for employers in relation to industrial disease claims;
- Land Development, Construction and Property Ownership: Acting in relation to corruption and crime commission investigations into land development approvals, advising on directors and officers obligations under harmonised laws for businesses operating as landlords and property developers across the country, advising on health and safety obligations on particular developments, advising in relation to safety incidents including fatal accident investigations., advising on work health and safety contractual clauses; and
- Technology: Advising in relation to potential bribery and corruption ramifications of proposed contractual arrangements with politician’s families, advising in relation to cybersecurity obligations.