Richard Smith, a Partner of HWL Ebsworth is the practice group head of the Adelaide Insurance team.
Richard has nearly 40 years experience in commercial and civil litigation acting for national and international insurers, large corporations and government agencies.
Richard’s practise covers a diverse range of disputes across all classes of insurance and includes advice on indemnity issues and policy coverage.
Richard has been recognised as a Leading Professional Indemnity Lawyer in the 2015 Doyle’s Guide. Richard has also been named in the Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers® for Professional Malpractice Litigation law.
Richard’s recent experience includes:
- An Insolvency practitioner: Acting for an insurer of an Insolvency Practitioner in a Supreme Court of South Australia action and successfully defending the claim against the Practitioner for damages for alleged breach of duty in conduct of Liquidation;
- An Insurer: Acting for insurer in respect of recovery of multiple property losses arising out of catastrophic bushfire;
- A liability insurer: Acting for liability insurer of a retail food business in defence of class action claims for damages for personal injury arising out of product provided to customers;
- Insurers: Acting for insurers in defence of catastrophic and complex personal injury claims arising out of motor vehicle accidents and liability claims in South Australia and the Northern Territory; and
- An Insurer: Advising an insurer of a church authority in respect of indemnity issues and in defence of multiple claims for sexual abuse.