- Title Partner
- Area Agribusiness, Banking and Financial Services, Capital Markets, Commercial Contracting, Corporate Governance, Energy and Resources, Franchising and Retail, Mergers and Acquisitions, Privacy, Data Protection and Cyber Security, Technology, Transport, Workplace Relations
Philip has over 30 years of experience as an adviser to overseas enterprises doing business in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region. Fluent in Japanese, Philip’s previous experience has been with a large international law firm in its Sydney office and its other offices in the Asian region. He has also spent two years in Tokyo on secondment to the head office of a major Japanese corporation and has traveled extensively on business throughout Asia, Europe and North America.
Philip has wide experience in corporate finance law, business law and transactions relating to the Asian region. This work includes project and infrastructure finance, loan facilities and security documentation, capital raising, mergers and acquisitions, commercial agreements, joint ventures, strategic alliances and the establishment of new businesses in Australia.
He and other members of his team work regularly with the Austrian Foreign Trade Office, the German-Australian Chamber of Industry and Commerce, the Finland-Australia Chamber of Commerce, the Danish Consulate-General, the Swiss-Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and commercial representatives of other countries in Europe, Asia and North America. He is also Past Chairman of the Council of The Scots College, Sydney.
Philip is a member of the Australia-Japan Business Co-operation Committee, and of the Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry, as well as President of the Australian-Japan Society of New South Wales and President of the National Federation of Australia Japan Societies. In October 2016 Philip was recognised with the Japanese Foreign Minister’s Award of Commendation. The Foreign Minister’s Commendation is to honour individuals and groups for their prominent contribution in promoting friendship and goodwill between Japan and foreign countries.
Philip was selected for inclusion in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2014 – 2016) for Corporate/M&A. He has been recognised in the Asialaw Leading Lawyers Guide (2017) as a Market Leading Lawyer in Corporate/M&A and Financial Services Regulatory, and was listed in the Asialaw Profiles as a Leading Lawyer (2016) for Corporate/M&A. Philip has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Corporate Law.
Philip’s experience includes:
- Major Japanese manufacturing and distribution company – providing full legal support for all aspects of its operations in Australia;
- Chinese investor in agribusiness sector – advised on foreign investment process and regulatory system in Australia, drafted and negotiated acquisition agreement and all supporting documentation;
- Worldwide acquisition in technology and services sector – advised on and supervised due diligence, preparation and negotiation of all Australian documentation and co-ordinated transaction for the Asia-Pacific region;
- The first Significant Investor Visa applicant for New South Wales – advised on all aspects of sponsorship and application, leading to the first successful grant of permanent residence; and
- Major investor in property sector – advised on structured financing and all supporting documentation for an innovative acquisition of Australian commercial property.