Matthew is a Partner based in our Norwest and Sydney offices. Matthew has focused his practice on providing general commercial advice to multinationals and their subsidiaries, small to medium enterprises and franchisors.
Matthew has many years experience in advising in the franchising industry and has acted for major franchisors and Master Franchisees in various industries, including across the retail food, trade services, construction and agricultural equipment and motor cycle industries.
Matthew is a Public Notary and has been acknowledged as an Accredited Specialist in Business Law by the Law Society of NSW.
Matthew’s recent experience includes:
- Vendors and purchasers: Acting in various private M&A transactions, including acting for a French based Australian Subsidiary in its acquisition of shares in an Australian heavy manufacturer, including assisting in due diligence, contract negotiation and liaising with the client’s France-based lawyers (transaction value circa $50 million);
- Clients acquiring a master franchise: Acting for clients acquiring a master franchise for Australia from a US-based franchisor, including negotiating the Master Franchise Agreement, establishing the required Australian entities, advising on Australian compliance, IP protection and drafting the required franchise documentation;
- Entrepreneurs: Advising entrepreneurs’ setting of business ventures, including a recent example of clients establishing a business to provide marketing via social media, to advise on the establishment of new business ventures, including selecting vehicle, drafting shareholders agreement and other related documentation;
- Sellers of goods and services: Acting for various sellers of goods and services in reviews of client trading conditions, credit applications and warranty documentation for compliance with the Consumer Guarantee Legislation and Personal Property Securities Act and advising generally in relation to related credit risk and compliance strategies; and
- SMEs: Advising SMEs in various industries, including manufacturers, on-sellers, distributors, and servicers in reviewing and drafting various business contracts, including supply, distribution, agency and tender agreements and negotiating amendments to such agreements.