Matthew is a Partner in the Commercial Group at HWL Ebsworth. Matthew has wide-ranging experience in technology law and intellectual property. He is recognised for his pragmatic and commercial approach when advising on complex problems and transactions.
Matthew specialises in large scale technology, IT and telecommunications projects (including IT & business process outsourcing, software and system implementations and technology procurement), privacy and data protection. He also advises companies, government, research organisations and start-ups in relation to the development, protection and licensing of intellectual property, joint venture arrangements, distribution arrangements, franchising, advertising and trace practices, technology disputes and general commercial matters.
Matthew has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Privacy and Data Security Law.
Matthew’s recent experience includes:
- NBN Co: Acting in relation to the procurement of both the passive and active equipment for Australia’s national broadband network;
- Woodside: Acting in relation to various technology licensing and services arrangements, including the licensing of patented process technology and know-how used for the liquefaction of natural gas;
- Automotive: Advising clients in the automotive industry (including Mazda and Ford) on franchising, procurement, privacy, and IP matters;
- Australian Unity: Acting in relation to its call centre technology arrangements, various software licensing and system implementations, and its whole of business telecommunications arrangements;
- Banks, utilities and government clients: Advising on complex system implementations and outsourcings; and
- Facebook, Apple, LinkedIn and Adobe: Acting for various multinational technology organisations, including Facebook, Apple, LinkedIn and Adobe, in relation to technology and privacy matters.