Leon Gorr is a partner in HWL Ebsworth’s commercial group. His practice covers Taxation Law, Estate and Business Succession Planning, resolving cross generation and inter generation financial disputes in family groups, Corporate, Commercial Law, corporate governance, investment structures and Contract Law and Documentation.
Leon’s client base includes accountants and other professionals, construction companies, property investors and developers, technology and bio-medical investors. He also acts for merchant banks, large and small private clients, trustee companies, public companies, pooled development funds, joint ventures and partnerships.
Leon has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Corporate/Governance practice. Leon has been a speaker at seminars and various groups conducted by the Taxation Institute of Australia and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia. In October 2011, Leon was acknowledged for his contribution to the tax profession by being inducted as a “Tax Legend” at the 50th Tax Institute of Australia Victorian State Convention.
Leon’s recent experience includes:
- A high net worth family: In the successful transition of a large private company home construction group to an IPO, and sitting on the Board as a Company Director;
- The vendor: In the negotiation and sale of a Cheese Manufacturing business and premises to a Multi National dairy Company;
- The vendor: In the negotiation and sale of a large Fast Moving Goods (food distribution) business to a Multi National Food manufacturer and distribution business;
- Taxpayers: On various disputes with the ATO regarding tax assessments with regard to CGT and income tax with emphasis on good will;
- For clients: With regard to Stamp Duty assessments in relation to mining tenement assignments;
- Trustees of Discretionary trusts: In relation to the disclosure of information to beneficiaries; and
- Various family groups: In regard to cross generation and inter generation succession and financial disputes.