Jason Symons is a Partner in HWL Ebsworth’s national insurance practice who specialises in advising insurers with regards to coverage in the financial lines space, particularly for professional indemnity and D&O insurance related matters, and representing insureds in disputed claims, particularly in the Supreme Court of NSW and Federal Court of Australia.
Jason monitors litigation against insureds on behalf of primary and/or excess insurers in Australia, London and other jurisdictions, particularly in large complex matters involving multiple layers of insurance.
Jason advises insurers and insureds with regards to cyber risks and data breach notification requirements and assists insureds as part of their insurer’s cyber response team.
- Managing director: Acting for former managing director of taxi company in relation to wrongful termination and related cross-claim brought by taxi company against former directors;
- Auditor: Acting for auditing company and professional indemnity insurer in relation to liquidators’ examination of former partner following collapse of Australian stockbroking firm;
- Financial adviser: Acting for financial adviser and international insurer in relation to negligence claim with regard to life insurance following death of spouse;
- Certifier: Acting for building certifier and professional indemnity insurer in relation to proceeding commenced by owners corporation following discovery of defects throughout common property;
- Construction company: Advising construction company in relation to insurance issues relating to potential claims against designer of government transport project;
- SMSF auditor: Acting for superannuation auditing company and professional indemnity insurer in relation to negligence and breach of contract action commenced by trustee company of investment fund;
- Directors: Acting for international insurer in relation to monitoring liquidators’ examinations and subsequent proceeding commenced against directors of an Australian mining company in liquidation;
- Solicitor: Acted for solicitor and professional indemnity insurer in relation to negligence action commenced by former client regarding property development;
- Liquidator: Acted for Australian insurer monitoring the investigation and subsequent proceeding commenced by ASIC against liquidator regarding breaches of liquidators regulations;
- London underwriters: Acted for multiple London underwriters in relation to settlement of claim against private equity firms and their directors and executive management team by beverage company; and
- Strata manager: Acted for strata manager in relation to proceeding commenced by owners corporation relating to defective repairs.