Bill has over 30 years’ experience managing litigation and the resolution of commercial disputes advising in disputes relating to corporate governance, construction and engineering, contract enforcement, partnerships, professional negligence, intellectual property and insolvency situations. Bill advises clients in the property, construction and engineering, professional services, transport, mining and resources, and agribusiness industries.
Bill Hickey was selected for inclusion in the Asia Pacific Legal 500 (2013/14) for Dispute Resolution. Bill was also selected for inclusion in the 2013 – 2018 editions of Best Lawyers™ Australia for Litigation and in 2014 – 2018 for Commercial Law and Corporate Law.
Bill’s experience includes:
- Commercial Contracting: Successfully represented a national distributor in the Federal Court of Australia in defence of the termination of an $8 million per year distribution agreement with a State-wide distributor who was seeking relief under the Australian Consumer Law. Advising a subsidiary of a publicly listed healthcare entity and negotiating resolution of a dispute concerning the acquisition of a group of medical centres;
- Property: Successfully represented owner of a major marina in two Supreme Court actions upholding lessor’s rights under the marina leases;
- Corporate Governance: Successfully represented former managing director of a mining company in relation to termination, remuneration and alleged breaches of the Corporations Act. Successfully representing a Director and senior employee of a major mining company in a 12-week Supreme Court trial concerning allegations of breaches of fiduciary duties and corporations law;
- Construction: Acted for civil contractor successfully resolving Supreme Court claim in relation to failure of an underground water storage facility which the developer had provided in public space as part of a property development; and
- Safety: Advising national wholesaler of electrical products in connection with litigation seeking restraint of unlawful regulatory action with the outcome that significant adverse commercial consequences were avoided.