Andrew specialises in Insurance and Commercial Litigation, in particular construction.
Andrew has appeared in all jurisdictions and has significant experience in negotiations, mediations, arbitrations and trials.
Andrew has advised and acted on behalf of domestic and overseas insurers including the Lloyd’s market and many corporate clients, in particular in the construction, mining, energy and financial services sectors.
Andrew has been named in Best Lawyers™ Australia for Litigation Law. In the Doyle’s Guide Andrew is recognised as a Recommended Litigation Lawyer.
Andrew’s recent experience includes:
- Gas Producer: Advising on coverage and liability for pure economic loss claims arising from the Varanus Gas explosion (damages in excess of $700m) and assisted Clifford Chance in Apache’s defence of those claims. Andrew appeared on behalf of Lloyds Syndicates at a preliminary mediation conference in Washington DC and a mediation in Perth, WA;
- Thai Oil Company: Advising on coverage, the cause of the oil spill, first party losses, business interruption and then the recovery by the owner/operator of the platform against the well’s contractor (on instructions from Lloyds);
- EPCM Contractor: Advised on breaches of an EPCM turnkey contract concerning the catastrophic failure of a Philippines hydro power station. This involved allegations of breach of contract, negligent design and construction and misleading and deceptive conduct;
- Engineers: Acting for Insurers of design engineers of freeways and highways that failed due to defective design for claims in excess of $70 million; and
- Financial Services: Acting for insurers of a financial advisory company in defending multiple claims regarding investments in CDOs, asset and mortgage backed securities, which totalled over $45 million. These claims also involved significant and complex insurance coverage issues.