The convenience of medium density living has proven exceedingly popular in recent decades. At least one quarter of Australians live or work in subdivision or strata property. The number of subdivision developments continues to grow and the number of lots per development is increasing exponentially. The range and mix of uses is boundless.
The legal and administrative functions and duties of Owners Corporations are unique and require expert legal skills and industry focus. Recognised by their peers as specialists in the areas of Owners Corporations, strata and subdivision law our partners have been awarded Fellowship of the Australian College of Community Association Lawyers.
HWL Ebsworth represents many of Melbourne's largest and most complex buildings, greenfield developments, gated communities, retirement villages, shopping centres, golf courses and resorts. We act for Owners Corporations, managers, developers, financial institutions, insurers and builders in relation to the whole range of strata law matters including development, governance, management and administration, dispute resolution and litigation.
Our relevant experience is as follows:
- our partners and solicitors have appeared in many seminal Owners Corporation cases in relation to matters as diverse as:
- use and enjoyment of common property,
- water damage,
- boundary disputes,
- enforcing rules,
- apportionment of expenses,
- committee powers, delegation and the duty of good faith,
- standing of individuals to issue legal proceedings on behalf of the Owners Corporation,
- disposal of common property and amending the plan of subdivision, and
- appointment of administrators.
- we advise and represent Owners Corporations and managers with regard to all aspects of management and administration including asset and financial management, accounting, taxation, insurance, meetings and procedure, committees, rules, litigation, debt recovery and enforcement;
- we advise developers, lenders and surveyors on high rise, greenfield and shopping centre property development projects from conception and design, through the planning and registration stages, convening the inaugural annual general meeting, governance and dispute resolution; and
- we act for Owners Corporations, owners, builders and professionals in all facets of building and construction law including transactional negotiations, drafting construction contracts, warranty and professional indemnity insurance, protection works, water penetration, dispute resolution and litigation in the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal and the court.