Intellectual property law is complex and constantly evolving, particularly with the increased amount of new technologies entering the market and the abundance of innovative ideas for products and services. With most businesses now having a presence online, and the ease of accessibility of material and information, it is even more important to identify, secure and protect valuable intangible assets.
Copyright materials, patents, trade marks, confidential information and trade secrets are core to the commercial viability and competitive advantage of most organisations.
The firm manages thousands of trade marks on behalf of clients which are registered in regions all over the world. We not only assist clients based in Australia but also international clients seeking to establish operations in Australia. The team utilises a dedicated software program to accurately monitor and track trade marks for our clients.
One of the group’s strengths is being able to service clients through the whole lifecycle of intellectual property matters. Our team can prepare commercial contracts, register trade marks and domain names, and also act for clients if a dispute arises or when enforcement steps are required to protect intellectual property assets.
The group has wide-ranging experience across many industry sectors including Federal and State Government, manufacturing, financial services, technology, media, energy & resources, education, telecommunications and health, amongst others.
Our team has the expertise and experience to assist you with any aspect of your intellectual property needs.
- An international franchisor: Acting for a global chain originating in the US in relation to negotiations with various third parties regarding trade mark infringement and proposed rebranding actions. This included filing new trade mark applications and managing trade mark oppositions;
- A food manufacturer: Managing an international trade mark portfolio, including all trade mark registration work in Australia and overseas, attending to renewals, trade mark infringement, availability and registrability advice, handling contentious matters and negotiating and documenting settlement agreements;
- A major media outlet: Acting against a new national magazine for passing off and trade mark infringement – successfully secured complete rebranding of the national magazine and associated online accounts and withdrawal of domain names and trade mark applications;
- A national sports body: We took steps to prevent unauthorised use of trade marks and intellectual property for events being held out as sanctioned by our client;
- A large manufacturer: We assisted a client with the launch of new eCommerce websites and the drafting of associated legal documentation. We also advised and assisted the client in relation to new gTLD domain name registrations improving the online brand for the client’s corporate identity;
- An energy company: We provided advice regarding the IP development, protection and commercialisation of new technology relating to electricity transmission corridor assets;
- An electronics company: Acting in relation to patent infringement matters against two inventors whose product infringed a number of our client’s patents;
- A major university: Representing the University after an international conference organiser represented that the University was supporting and sponsoring the conference. We secured removal and destruction of all infringing materials and publications; and
- A Federal Government Agency: Advising on a complex IP licensing dispute in respect of a major defence project.