HWL Ebsworth is appointed in all four categories (Government and Administrative Law; Corporate and Commercial; Dispute Resolution and Litigation; all other Legal Services) under the Legal Services Multi-Use List (LSMUL) arrangements for the Australian Government. The LSMUL is a whole-of-government multi-use list for purchasing legal services. The LSMUL includes legal service providers who have been pre-qualified to provide legal services to the Commonwealth in nominated categories of legal work.
Most Australian Government agencies are required to use the list to purchase their legal services.
Agencies wishing to contact HWL Ebsworth should email
HWL Ebsworth has teams across Australia that specialise in providing legal services to the Australian Government.
We have also been appointed to legal services parcels under the LSMUL for the Department of Education and Training, Department of Employment, Department of Environment, Department of Human Services, Australian Taxation Office, Department of Finance (Comcover), Department of Veterans' Affairs, Therapeutic Goods Administration, Australian Maritime Safety Authority, Fair Work Ombudsman and Australian Public Service Commission. Our appointments demonstrate that we are a trusted provider of legal services to the Commonwealth.
In addition to our parcel appointments, we perform work for a wide range of Commonwealth departments and agencies, including the Department of Defence, CSIRO, Attorney-General's Department, Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, Department of Parliamentary Services, Australian National Audit Office, Grains Research and Development Corporation, Australian Federal Police and National Museum of Australia.
Members of our Australian Government team have been commended for being among the best in their field. Members of our team have been named by peer-review company Best Lawyers as Best Lawyers® Canberra 'Lawyer of the Year', including:
- Richard Garnett for Insurance Law
- Emeritus Professor Dennis Pearce AO for Government Practice and Public Law;
- Michael Will for Labour and Employment Law and Regulatory Practice;
- George Marques for Commercial Law;
- Melanie McKean for Alternative Dispute Resolution; and
- Angela Summersby for Government Practice and Information Technology.
Our team has been recognised for commercial litigation in the ACT in Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2015 and 2016.
Other 'Best Lawyers' listings, in many years for each lawyer, include:
- Richard Garnett - Insurance Law, Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, Government Practice and Product Liability Litigation.
- Lex Holcombe – Public Law, Litigation and Government Law.
- Stuart Imrie – Government Law, Telecommunications Law and Commercial Law.
- Megan Knight - Litigation Law.
- George Marques – Commercial Law and Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Melanie McKean – Alternative Dispute Resolution, Government Practice, Insurance Law and Litigation. Melanie has also been listed as a ‘leading commercial litigation lawyer’ in the ACT in Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.
- Michael Palfrey - Government.
- Emeritus Professor Dennis Pearce AO – Government Law, Intellectual Property Law, Public Law and Regulatory Law).
- Anthony Reilly - Government Law.
- Alan Rose AO – Government Law, Public Law and Regulatory Law.
- Dr Gary A Rumble – Constitutional Law, Government Law, Public Law and Regulatory Law.
- Angela Summersby – Government Law, Information Technology Law, Outsourcing Law and Telecommunications Law.
- Michael Will – Alternative Dispute Resolution, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Employee Benefits Law, Government Law, Labour and Employment, Litigation, Public Law, Regulatory Law). Michael has also been listed as a ‘preeminent lawyer’ for commercial litigation in the ACT in Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.