Our Superannuation team works at the leading edge of industry developments with proactive industry participation and thought leadership on constantly-evolving legal changes.
Our clients include industry, corporate and retail superannuation funds, exempt public sector schemes, professional trustees, administrators, employers seeking to comply with their superannuation obligations, SAFs and SMSFs.
Importantly, given the broad range of skills required to run a superannuation fund - from IT and payment systems to employment and property issues - our team have the ability to draw on the expertise of the comprehensive range of practice groups across the firm where required. This means we provide holistic, timely, practical and accurate advice at rates that compliment our clients' business models.
The team itself has long experience and a deep knowledge and understanding of the complex legal and regulatory framework that the industry operates in which we leverage to add value for our clients. We also encourage our lawyers to think "outside the square" to find creative solutions to the difficult issues.
Our relevant experience includes:
- advising numerous funds on the requirements under the Stronger Super reforms including the establishment of MySuper products and compliance with APRA's Prudential Standards;
- advising trustee boards on structural and governance issues with particular focus on the identification, management and avoidance of conflicts of interest and compliance with statutory, common law and fiduciary duties;
- outsourced arrangements including administration, custody and asset consultant agreements;
- reviewing disclosure documents such as PDSs, annual reports, member benefit statements as well as other general member communications and advertising;
- successor fund transfers for numerous defined benefit and accumulation funds;
- RSE and AFS licensing and breach reporting;
- reviewing, advising and negotiating domestic and international investment management arrangements for a broad range of asset classes including currency management mandates and transition management mandates;
- advising on direct investment acquisitions including a wide range of infrastructure assets such as airports, water utilities, ports and direct property;
- advising on investments in domestic and international managed funds such as private equity (limited liability partnership), hedge funds, fixed interest funds, property funds and equities funds;
- negotiations for investor rights and committee representation, in-house asset and related party transactions, derivatives compliance requirements and investor litigation;
- group life and salary continuance insurance policies and insurance arrangements for members and trustee indemnity and other insurance arrangements;
- reserves and surpluses and the winding-up of superannuation funds; and
- dispute resolution and SCT complaints.