HWL Ebsworth's Funds Management Group has extensive experience in all aspects of funds and asset management, including product design and launch, restructures, licensing, amalgamations and alliances, white labelling and outsourced services arrangements. We act for a variety of clients in the wealth management industry including Fund and Asset Managers, Advisers, Financial Institutions, Industry, Corporate, Public Sector and Retail Superannuation Funds, Professional Trustees and Self Managed Superannuation Funds for high net worth individuals.
Our team members have extensive knowledge and expertise in advising wealth management businesses in all aspects of their operations including in respect of the full life-cycle of managed investment schemes; distribution and management of financial products; financial services M&A; advising on regulatory and disclosure matters (FSGs, SOAs and licensing); development of law reform and regulatory policy, and advising and participating in industry bodies – such as the FSC.
We work closely with other teams across HWL Ebsworth to advise clients on matters related to their wealth management businesses, such as tax, debt and debt structuring, and related regulatory matters (such as privacy, unfair contracts, competition, credit licensing, and the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing regime).
Our relevant experience includes:
- advising a major Australian platform operator in entering into a product development and servicing agreement with one of Australia's largest fund managers;
- advising a global insurer on a reinsurance trust arrangement;
- advising listed property trusts on AFS licensing and compliance issues, and drafting scheme constitutions;
- advising a major investment bank on a proposed business restructure;
- advising major Australian investment banks, funds managers and insurers on FOFA issues particularly in the context of platforms and dealer groups;
- advising a major fund manager and platform operator on the establishment and operation of a range of funds including in respect of relevant ASIC relief applications and underlying investment management arrangements; and
- advising an offshore investment manager on the portfolio holdings disclosure requirements under the Corporations Act.