Gary's major areas of practice include advice, litigation and other dispute resolution in government, administrative law, constitutional law, government decision-making, policy implementation options, legislation design and the drafting of instruments.
Gary has previously been a senior lawyer with the Commonwealth Solicitor-General and with the Australian Government Solicitor. In 20 years in private practice he has been a partner with two other major national firms. Gary has run matters in all States and Territories.
Gary has advised and acted for Australian Government agencies on many matters, including advising on legal requirements for valid and 'litigation-proof' decision-making and on strategic issues involving policy implementation and legislative design. Gary also advises private sector entities on dealings with the Australian Government on government processes and decision-making. He has advised Government and private sector personnel on appearances at Parliamentary Committees and Royal Commissions.
Gary is an Adjunct Professor of Government and Administrative Law at the University of Canberra. He has also taught constitutional law in the LLM program at Australian National University. Gary was a founding National Executive member and is a former National President of the Australian Institute of Administrative Law. He has served on a number of Law Council of Australia and Australian Capital Territory Law Society committees.
Gary has been listed as one of Australia's leading lawyers in the categories 'Constitutional Law' and 'Government Law' each year of the Australian Financial Review's publication of the 'Best Lawyers' peer review survey results. In 2012 he was also listed under the category 'Public Law" and in 2013 he was listed under the category 'Regulatory'.
- Gary led the Review of Allegations of Sexual and Other Abuse in Defence for report to the Minister for Defence and the Department of Defence.
- Gary undertook a review for the Department of Health and Ageing on prohibited practices in pathology and corresponding legislative amendments to address practices that were contrary to government policy.
- Gary recently spent 12 months as General Counsel with a large Commonwealth Government department, working on its integration with a number of other agencies.
- Gary has drafted and co-ordinated packages of rules and delegations to enable implementation of new regulatory and administrative programs.
- Gary recently assisted a Department with a review of its internal legal services.
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Laws (Hons)
- PhD (Constitutional Law)
- Legal Workshop Diploma
- Australian Institute of Administrative Law (Founding Executive member, former National President and former Chair Queensland Chapter)
- Australian Association of Constitutional Law
- Institute of Public Administration of Australia
- Member Administrative Law Committee Law Council of Australia (LCA)
- Former Member Federal Litigation Executive Committee LCA
- Former Member Harmonisation of Laws Committee LCA
- Former Member Constitutional Law Committee LCA
- Former Member Australian Capital Territory Law Society Ad Hoc Bill of Rights Committee