Luke practises in the areas of corporate and commercial law, with a particular focus on intellectual property law and brand protection, technology law, media and entertainment law and trade practices issues including franchising, competition and consumer protection.
Luke manages trade mark portfolios for large corporate clients and helps to protect their brands in Australia and throughout the world in all key markets. He has specific expertise in negotiating and drafting a wide range of commercial documents, including licensing agreements, distribution agreements and technology transfers. Luke also prepares and advises upon ACCC Notifications and Authorisations, Enforceable Undertakings and trade practice compliance programs.
Luke has been named in the Australian Financial Review's Best Lawyers® for Commercial Law Intellectual Property law.. The 2014 edition of Asia Pacific Legal 500 notes that Luke is recognised for his ability to handle complex intellectual property issues. Doyle's Guide names Luke as a Pre-eminent Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyer and a Recommended Intellectual Property Lawyer.
Luke is a Committee Member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and NZ, the Law Council of Australia's Competition & Consumer Committee and The Harmonization of Trade Mark Law, Practice Committee of the International Trademark Association. He is also a panel member of the Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre.
- Acting for a leading technology company in relation to negotiations with third parties for the acquisition of certain software and intellectual property, including associated licensing arrangements;
- Acting for a provider of technology and communication solutions in relation to the launch of new eCommerce websites and the drafting of associated legal documentation;
- Acting for an FMCG brand owner in relation to trade mark oppositions and registrations in Australia and multiple overseas territories;
- Providing advice to an Australian-based franchisor regarding Franchising Code of Conduct, competition and brand protection issues, both in Australia and overseas;
- Acting for a sector-leading brand owner in relation to the acquisition of third party domain names and protection of new brands in key overseas territories;
- IP and IT due diligence in relation to numerous M&A transactions, including a major government privatisation; and
- Providing ongoing trade mark and domain name services for major clients across various industries, including trade mark registrations and oppositions, domain name registrations and licensing arrangements.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Marketing and Management)
- Law Council of Australia
- Law Society of South Australia
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- International Trade Mark Association
- Notaries Society of SA Inc